Returning to exercise after you’ve had a baby is something most women look forward to, but with limited sleep and that horribly anxious feeling, this can feel overwhelming. So, joining a mums and bubs class can have many positive benefits including:
- A friendly, flexible exercise environment that suits you and bub.
- Making friends with other mums and exercise in an outdoor environment.
- Learning things and become aware of your own body and the post-baby changes.
- You will learn how to properly engage your pelvic floor and abdominals.
- Increasing your strength & cardiovascular fitness.
- Improving your mental health
- Working out with other mums who just 'get it'.
- You will get those endorphins that are going to make you feel amazing.
- Creating a consistent exercise habit for yourself which will be a great example to your family.
You are not alone. In our classes, we are all here to support each other through the sleepless nights and the new phases we approach. We all get it.Also, workouts are tailored to you, your baby and your wellbeing. Your bub can play, be a part of the exercise as a bit of extra weight when squatting or lunging, or just sleep (hopefully)! Here is a little intro to how I run our sessions, just to give you a feeling for how a mums and bubs class might run:
- The class starts with a little social interaction to check in to see how everyone is feeling.
- This is followed by pelvic floor and abdominal activation exercises.
- We always like to spend time stretching the tight muscles, which are usually the shoulders, chest and hips. Then we activate the weak muscles, which are usually the glutes and back.
- The group then goes for a walk or jog depending on your level.
- Then we get into the body of the workout which includes a structured circuit, EMOM (every minute on the minute), AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) and boxing.
But most importantly, have fun and keep smiling.We are all mums in the same situation: if you rock up late, that's cool – we understand. If bub is crying – that’s fine – that’s what babies do! Just take them for a little walk and come and join back in when bub is settled. If you need to feed – go for it! I highly recommend that all of our clients go and see a Women’s Health Physio, so we can properly understand what is going on in the inside and work to rebuild from the inside out. I hope this has given you an insight to what happens at a mums and bubs group class and encourages you to join one! For Mums and Bubs groups in your area, please click here. For a Women’s Health Physio in your area, please click here. Find Emma on Instagram.