Labour. The birthing suite. The end of a 9-month transformation and a lifelong journey. Many enter this stage with trepidation and rarely can you predict a mother’s response or experience.
While every woman and their journey is unique, there are a few things that will work for the majority.As a midwife, mother and pre/post-natal personal trainer, I recommend these things for first-time mummas to provide the greatest chance to appreciate their birth experience. 1. Keep active during your pregnancy Pregnancy places the body under the same level of exertion as Olympic athletes. A healthy, strong cardiovascular and muscular system will help:
- Your body deliver on delivery day;
- Care for your baby in the days that follow;
- Recover birth and surgery;
- Teach mental and physical connection;
- Strengthen stamina.
- Pain relief options
- Stretching and birth preparation
- Expressing colostrum
- Post-birth recovery
- Who to contact when times are tricky.